Vital Signs: Lisa E. Scherer battles multiple sclerosis with exercise

Every week, The Press looks at someone who puts a priority on living a healthier life.

Lisa E. Scherer

Age: 48

Hometown: Holland

Occupation: Training supervisor and former kitchen manager

Biggest health challenge: Multiple sclerosis

Exercise routine: I go to the gym six days a week for two to three hours. Three days, I work on my legs, and three days I work on my arms. I work on my core daily.

Exercise tips: Take your time. Mix it up. Try something new. Watch what others do and ask yourself: “Can I do that?”

Eating plan: I like a soy shake in the morning with homemade oatmeal bakes. I have a light lunch, and dinner is anything with vegetables. I don’t eat beef or pork.

Guilty pleasure food: Peanut butter pretzels

Favorite healthy foods: Anything that is low fat or no fat or low calorie

Breakfast today: A soy shake and a banana

Daily doses: Malt and calcium

Healthy advice: Only you can control how you eat and exercise. In February 2010, I weighed 191 pounds. Today, I am 146 pounds. I’ve gotten great support from people at my gym and the staff. My next goal is to take the Body Pump and Spin classes.

Want to be featured in our health profile column? Send an email, including your name and phone number, to health@grpress.com.